The West Bengal Bina Mulya Samajik Suraksha Yojana (WB BMSSY) is a crucial social security initiative launched by the Government of West Bengal.
Here’s a breakdown of the scheme’s objectives, working mechanism, and eligibility criteria:
The primary objective of the WB BMSSY is to provide financial protection and social security to unorganized workers in West Bengal. The scheme aims to improve the standard of living for economically disadvantaged individuals and ensure their access to basic amenities. It addresses the needs of those who are unable to earn a livelihood due to factors such as old age, disability, or other circumstances.
Coverage of Unorganized Workers:
Unorganized workers are a significant portion of the workforce in India and often lack access to formal social security schemes. The BMSSY is designed to provide support to workers in the informal sector, including rickshaw pullers, street vendors, domestic workers, and construction laborers, among others.
The scheme covers a wide range of beneficiaries in the unorganized sector, including those engaged in self-employed occupations, the construction industry, and transportation. Workers notified by the Labour Department, Government of West Bengal, fall under the scheme’s purview.
The scheme offers a wide range of benefits to eligible beneficiaries, including:
- Monthly Pension: Beneficiaries receive a monthly pension amount to support their livelihoods.
- Life Insurance: The scheme provides life insurance coverage to ensure financial security for the beneficiaries’ families in case of their demise.
- Health Insurance: Health insurance coverage is offered to address medical expenses and health-related needs.
- Disability Cover: Individuals with disabilities are provided with financial support and assistance.
- Maternity Benefit: Pregnant women may receive maternity benefits to cover medical expenses and support during pregnancy.
- Funeral Expenses: The scheme assists with funeral expenses in case of a beneficiary’s demise.
- Scholarships: Scholarships may be available to eligible beneficiaries for educational purposes.
The Bina Mulya Samajik Suraksha Yojana (BMSSY) in West Bengal offers various benefits and assistance to eligible beneficiaries in the unorganized sector.
Provident Fund Contribution:
To avail of the benefits under this scheme, beneficiaries are required to contribute Rs. 25 per month toward their provident fund. However, starting from April 1, 2020, the government of West Bengal has decided to waive off this monthly contribution. Instead, the government will pay the contribution amount on behalf of the beneficiaries.
This waiver of the monthly contribution represents a significant step in making social security more accessible to unorganized sector workers.
- Eligible workers are required to contribute Rs. 25 per month towards their provident fund.
- The state government matches this contribution by providing a grant of Rs. 30 against the worker’s contribution.
- The state government also bears the annual interest payable on the deposit, following the rate allowed on the general provident fund deposits by the government.
Health and Family Welfare:
Under the West Bengal Health Scheme, beneficiaries are provided financial assistance for healthcare expenses:
- Rs. 20,000 per annum for medical expenses requiring hospitalization or outdoor treatment.
- Full coverage for clinical tests, medicine costs, and hospitalization expenses.
- Payment for loss of employment, at the rate of Rs. 1,000 for the first five days and an additional Rs. 100 per day for the remaining days, up to a maximum of Rs. 10,000.
- Beneficiaries and family members can make claims more than once a year, with a total assistance limit of Rs. 20,000 per annum.
- Financial assistance of up to Rs. 60,000 per annum is available for surgeries, covering clinical tests, medicine costs, hospitalization, and loss of employment.
Death and Disability:
- In case of death due to an accident, Rs. 2,00,000 is provided to the nominee.
- In the event of natural death, Rs. 50,000 is provided to the nominee.
- For beneficiaries with a disability of 40% or more, Rs. 50,000 is provided.
- Total and irrecoverable loss of both eyes, both hands, both feet, sight in one eye, or use of one hand or foot results in a grant of Rs. 2,00,000.
- Total and irrecoverable loss of one eye or use of one hand or foot leads to a grant of Rs. 1,00,000.
Financial assistance for education is provided to the children of beneficiaries based on their educational level:
- Class 11th: Rs. 4,000 per annum
- Class 12th: Rs. 5,000 per annum
- ITI (Under Training): Rs. 6,000 per annum
- Undergraduate: Rs. 6,000 per annum
- Postgraduate: Rs. 10,000 per annum
- Polytechnic: Rs. 10,000 per annum
- Mechanical/Engineering: Rs. 30,000 per annum
- Additionally, if a daughter completes undergraduate education or equivalent skill development studies, Rs. 25,000 financial assistance is provided for a maximum of two daughters, provided they remain unmarried until completion.
Training in Safety and Skill Development:
- Workers receive training in safety and skill development through the Paschim Banga Society for Skill Development.
- The funding for this training is sourced from construction worker cess, transport cess, and the state budget of the Labor Department.
Maintenance of Account and Audit:
- All administrative expenses related to the scheme are borne by the state government.
- Grants received from the state government, Central Government, or beneficiaries are deposited into the fund.
- Separate accounts for the scheme are maintained and audited.
- Annual reports on scheme performance and audited accounts are submitted to the state government.
Bina Mulya Samajik Suraksha Yojana Card:
- Existing Samajik Mukti cards, registration numbers, and passbooks issued to unorganized workers are considered valid under the scheme.
- New workers receive SMCs (Samajik Mukti cards) to access the scheme’s benefits.
- Beneficiaries receive financial assistance on a monthly basis. The scheme provides a monthly pension amount of Rs. 1000, which is transferred directly to the bank accounts of the beneficiaries.
Bina Mulya Samajik Suraksha Yojana (BMSSY)
|Name of the scheme||Bina Mulya Samajik Suraksha Yojana|
|Launched by||The Respected Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee|
|Launched on||The year 2017|
|Beneficiaries||Unorganized worker as per the official list of industries and occupations.|
|Objective||To waive off the amount of contribution|
|Benefits||The scheme aims to alleviate the burden on unorganized workers.|
|Contribution Amount||Rs. 25/- per month|
|Contribution towards||Provident fund|
|The amount will be paid by||State government|
|The contribution process starts from||1st April 2020|
|Previously the amount was paid by||The unorganized workers|
To be eligible for the WB BMSSY, individuals must meet the following criteria:
- Residence: Applicants must be residents of West Bengal and possess valid proof of address.
- Economically Weaker Section: Applicants should belong to the economically weaker section of society and should not have a regular source of income.
- Specific Categories: The scheme covers various categories, including destitute individuals who are homeless and have no means of livelihood, senior citizens above 60 years of age with no source of income, widows without any source of income, women who are divorced, abandoned, or separated with no source of income, and persons with disabilities (PWD) who are unable to earn their livelihood.
- Age Limit: There is no age limit to avail the benefits of the scheme.
Before applying, make sure you have the following documents ready:
- Aadhar card
- Ration card
- Permanent residence certificate
- Passport-sized photograph
- Mobile number
- Email ID
- Family income certificate
- Visit the official website of the Bina Mulya Samajik Suraksha Yojana (BMSSY) https://bmssy.wblabour.gov.in/.
- On the homepage, click on the option “New registration by beneficiary.”
- A registration form will be displayed. Enter the required details in the form, including Worker Type Category, Your Name, Date of Birth, Email ID, Mobile Number, Identity Proof, Caste, Ration Card/Food Partner Number Type, etc.
- After entering all the information, click on the “Register” button.
- Once registered, log in to the portal.
- On the dashboard of the BMSSY portal, click on the “Nominee Details” option.
- Enter your nominee details and dependent details as required.
- Provide your bank account details by clicking on the “Bank Account Details” option.
- Click on the “Application” link.
- Enter relevant information in the following sections-
- Basic Information
- Address Details
- Bank Details
- Nominee Details
- Dependent Details
- Document Description
- After entering all the information, click the “Submit” button.
- By following this process, you will be able to complete your application under the BMSSY scheme.
Procedure to Login to the Portal:
- Visit the official website of Bina Mulya Samajik Suraksha Yojana (BMSSY) https://bmssy.wblabour.gov.in/login
- On the homepage, click on the “Login” option.
- The login form will appear. Enter your username, password, captcha code, and other required information.
- Click on the “Login” option to access your portal account.
Process to Download User Manual:
To download the user manual for the scheme, follow these steps:
To download the user manual for the scheme, follow these steps:
- Visit the official website of Bina Mulya Samajik Suraksha Yojana.
- On the homepage, click on the “User Manual” option.
- A PDF file containing the user manual will appear on the screen.
- You can view and read the user manual online, or you can download it by clicking on the “Download” option.
- To avail the benefits of the West Bengal Bina Mulya Samajik Suraksha Yojana:
- Visit the nearest Common Service Centre (CSC) for enrollment.
- Provide necessary documents such as proof of age, address proof, and identity proof.
- Provide details of your nominee.
- After enrollment, you will receive a smart card that contains your details and entitlements.
- Use the smart card at empanelled hospitals or contact the nearest CSC to avail the benefits of the scheme.
The West Bengal Bina Mulya Samajik Suraksha Yojana is a critical initiative that aims to provide social security and financial support to vulnerable and marginalized sections of society, ultimately empowering them to lead dignified lives.
Bina Mulya Samajik Suraksha Yojana (BMSSY)- FAQs
1.Who is eligible for benefits under BMSSY?
Eligibility criteria may vary, but generally, residents of West Bengal aged between 18 to 60 years with a family income not exceeding Rs 6,500 per month can apply for BMSSY benefits.
2.How can I enroll in BMSSY?
You can enroll by visiting a local Common Service Centre (CSC) and providing necessary documents like proof of age and identity.
3.What kind of financial assistance does BMSSY provide?
BMSSY offers various benefits, including provident fund contributions, health and family welfare coverage, assistance for education, and support in case of death or disability.
4.Can I avail of multiple benefits under BMSSY simultaneously?
Yes, you can receive multiple benefits under BMSSY, but there may be limits on the total annual assistance for certain categories.
5.What happens if I don’t make provident fund contributions continuously for three years?
If you fail to contribute continuously for three financial years, your account may be considered inactive, but you can apply to revive it with the Assistant Labour Commissioner’s approval.