The Government of India has embarked on a transformative journey to provide social security to the unorganized sector workforce through the e-Shram Yojana. This ambitious initiative includes the launch of the e-Shram portal, a digital platform designed to collect crucial data on unorganized workers and grant them access to various government schemes. Central to this effort is the issuance of the e-Shram Card, a powerful identification card that opens doors to a range of benefits, including pensions, death insurance, and financial aid.
What is the e Shram Card?
The e-Shram Card stands as a beacon of hope for India’s unorganized workers, promising them access to a comprehensive spectrum of social security benefits. This unique identification system assigns a distinct identification number to each worker, opening doors to a plethora of government schemes and programs.
Empowering Unorganized Workers:
Unorganized workers, who constitute a significant portion of India’s labor force, often face uncertainties and vulnerabilities due to the lack of social security. The e-Shram Card, set to debut in 2023, represents a watershed moment in their lives, offering them social security and a simplified means of accessing essential benefits.
The unorganized sector refers to a segment of the economy where economic activities, such as the sale of services or goods, and production, take place without formal organization or structure. This sector typically consists of small-scale enterprises or units that employ fewer than ten workers. Unlike the organized sector, which includes larger corporations and businesses, the unorganized sector is characterized by its lack of formal registration and adherence to labor laws.
Key characteristics of the Unorganized sector:
- Small-Scale Operations: Unorganized sector units are often small and operate at a localized or community level. They may include family-owned businesses, street vendors, small workshops, and similar establishments.
- Limited Regulation: These units are not subject to the same level of regulation and oversight as larger, organized businesses. As a result, they may not adhere to formal labor laws, safety standards, or social security provisions.
- Low Job Security: Workers in the unorganized sector often face job insecurity, as there may be limited employment contracts or formal agreements. They may work on a daily wage basis or as casual laborers.
- Lack of Social Security: Unlike the organized sector, where employees often have access to social security benefits through organizations like the Employees’ State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) and the Employees’ Provident Fund Organization (EPFO), workers in the unorganized sector typically lack such benefits.
- Diverse Occupations: The unorganized sector encompasses a wide range of occupations, including agriculture, construction, street vending, domestic work, and small-scale manufacturing. It may also include home-based or self-employed workers.
- Informal Economy: Much of the economic activity in the unorganized sector is part of the informal economy, where transactions may not be officially recorded, and workers may not have formal contracts or legal protections.
Overall, the unorganized sector plays a significant role in many economies, particularly in developing countries. While it provides employment opportunities for a large portion of the population, it also presents challenges related to job security, working conditions, and access to social benefits. Efforts by governments and organizations aim to improve the conditions and social security coverage for workers in the unorganized sector.
Key Features of the e Shram Card:
- Unique Identification System: Each e-Shram Card boasts a distinctive identification number, granting unorganized workers seamless access to government schemes and programs.
- Portability and Accessibility: The e-Shram Card is a portable document, enabling workers to access benefits and services from anywhere, negating the necessity for physical documentation.
- Comprehensive Information: The card encapsulates crucial worker details such as name, age, gender, job type, and location. It is intricately linked to the worker’s Aadhaar card and mobile number, ensuring hassle-free access to benefits.
- Centralized Database: The e-Shram Card dovetails into a centralized database of unorganized workers, facilitating the registration and tracking of social security schemes.
- Accident Insurance Cover: Immediate benefits of acquiring an e-Shram Card include accident insurance cover of up to Rs. 2 lakh. This offers financial protection in the event of workplace accidents.
|Scheme||E SHRAM CARD|
|Launched by||Ministry of Labor and Employment|
|Start Date||August 2021|
|Beneficiaries||Unorganised sector workers|
|Pension Benefits||Rs.3,000 per month|
|Insurance Benefits||Death Insurance of Rs.2 lakh, Rs.1 lakh for partial handicap|
|Age Limits||16-59 years|
Benefits of E Shram Card Download:
Unique Identification: The E-Shram Card assigns a distinctive identification number to each worker, streamlining access to government schemes.
- Access to Welfare Schemes: Holders of the card gain entry to various government welfare schemes, including insurance and pension benefits.
- Comprehensive Information: The card contains personal details, photographs, and bank account information, ensuring a comprehensive profile of each worker.
- Streamlined Delivery: The card enhances the efficiency of delivering social welfare schemes, ensuring better targeting of benefits.
- Formalization: By digitizing worker information, the E-Shram Card contributes to formalizing the unorganized sector workforce.
- Improved Living Standards: Access to social security benefits can significantly improve the standard of living for unorganized sector workers.
- Digital Accessibility: The digital platform is accessible from anywhere, reducing the barriers to accessing benefits.
- Reduced Paperwork: With digital records, there’s less need for physical documents and paperwork, streamlining administrative processes.
Eligibility for E Shram Card Download 2023:
- Unorganized Sector Worker: Applicants must be actively engaged as workers in the unorganized sector.
- Indian Citizen: Applicants should be Indian citizens or permanent residents of India.
- Age Requirement: Applicants must be aged 16 or above.
- Valid Aadhaar: Possession of a valid Aadhaar number is a prerequisite.
- Bank Account: Applicants are encouraged to have a bank account, preferably with an Indian bank.
- Linked Mobile Number: A valid mobile number linked to the Aadhaar number is essential.
- Complete Details: Applicants must provide all necessary personal and bank account details during registration.
Documents required for registration:
- Aadhaar Number
- Mobile number linked with Aadhaar.
- Savings Bank Account number with IFSC code.
Registration Process for E Shram Card:
To obtain the e-Shram Card, unorganized sector workers must meet specific eligibility criteria, including possessing an Aadhaar number, an Aadhaar-linked mobile number, and a bank account. Applicants must fall within the age bracket of 16 to 59 years. The registration process is designed to be user-friendly, ensuring accessibility for a diverse range of workers.
- Registration: Visit the official E-Shram portal (https://eshram.gov.in) and click on “Register.” Fill in required details, including name, Aadhaar number, bank account info, and mobile number.
- Submission: After completing the details, click “Submit” to finish registration. Log in using your registered mobile number and password.
- Download: Navigate to the “Download” section and select “Download E-Shram Card.” The card will be downloaded digitally to your device.
- Save and Print: Save the E-Shram Card and consider taking a printout for your records. Keep it secure for availing government welfare schemes and benefits.
E SHRAM Card Download By Mobile Number:
- Visit the official eSHRAM portal (https://eshram.gov.in) and click on “Already Registered? Click on UPDATE.”
- Enter your UAN card number, date of birth, and the captcha code, then click “Generate OTP.”
- Verify your mobile number by entering the OTP received.
- Click on “Download eSHRAM Card” to download the PDF file of your eSHRAM Card.
- Open the eSHRAM Card PDF, take a printout, and keep it safe.
E SHRAM Card Download By UAN Number:
- Visit the official E Shram Portal (https://eshram.gov.in) on your mobile or laptop.
- On the home page, click on “Already Registered? Click on UPDATE.”
- Fill in your UAN card number, date of birth, and captcha code, then click “Generate OTP.”
- Validate your OTP sent to your registered mobile number.
- Your name will appear at the top, and you’ll see two options. Click on “Download UAN Card” to download your eSHRAM Card.
E SHRAM Card Download By Aadhar Card:
- Go to the E-SHRAM portal (https://eshram.gov.in) and locate the “Update” option on the home page.
- Enter your UAN number and the captcha code, then click “Send OTP.”
- Input the OTP received and enter your 12-digit Aadhar card number.
- Tick the “I Agree” column and click “Submit.”
- You’ll see two options: “Update Profile Download UAN Card” or “Download UAN Card.” Click on “Download UAN Card” to obtain your eSHRAM Card.
Steps to Check the balance status of your e Shram card:
e-Shram card balance check is a process that allows beneficiaries who have registered on the e-Shram portal to verify the status of the money they receive from the authorities. This balance check helps workers in the unorganized sector track the funds they are entitled to under various government schemes and social security benefits.
- Here are the steps to check the balance status of your e Shram card:
- Visit the official e-Shram portal website at https://e-shram.gov.in/.
- On the home page, look for the ‘E-Aadhaar Card Beneficiary Status Check’ option or a similar option related to checking the status of your benefits.
- Provide the required information, which may include one or more of the following:
- e Shram card number
- Universal Account Number (UAN)
- Aadhaar details
- After entering the necessary details, click on the “Submit” button.
- The e-Shram payment status will be displayed on the screen, showing the balance or any recent transactions related to your e-Shram card.
The e Shram Card marks a significant stride towards providing social security and empowerment to India’s unorganized sector workforce. By consolidating multiple identification cards into a single digital platform, this initiative simplifies access to government benefits and services. As the program continues to evolve, it promises to make a substantial difference in the lives of millions of unorganized workers, granting them the security and support they rightfully deserve.