The “Har Ghar Bijli Lagatar” scheme, an integral part of Bihar’s Saat Nishchay portfolio, stands as a monumental effort to provide electricity to every household in the state. Launched on November 15, 2016, by Bihar’s Chief Minister, Shri. Nitish Kumar, this initiative has emerged as a beacon of progress, aiming to bridge the gap in electrification.
The primary goal of the Har Ghar Bijli Lagatar scheme is to offer free electricity connections to all residences in Bihar. This visionary scheme endeavors to ensure seamless access to electricity for both urban and rural households across the state. By targeting 50 lakh households without prior electrical connections, the scheme aspires to make a significant impact.
The Bihar Har Ghar Bijli Yojana has several key objectives:
- Universal Electricity Access: The primary goal of the scheme is to ensure that every household in Bihar has access to electricity. This is a significant step towards improving the overall quality of life for the residents of the state.
- Inclusion of Unconnected Households: The scheme specifically targets households that do not have electricity connections. It aims to bridge the gap in electrification by extending connections to these underserved households.
- Support for Income from Unorganized Sources: The scheme recognizes that many households in Bihar earn their income from unorganized sources. These households are also eligible for free electricity connections, ensuring that a wide range of people benefit from the initiative.
- Target of 50 Lakh Households: The government has set an ambitious target of providing electricity connections to 50 lakh households under the Har Ghar Bijli Yojana. This indicates the scale and importance of the scheme in Bihar’s electrification efforts.
- Cost of Connection: While the connection itself is provided free of charge, beneficiaries are responsible for paying their electricity consumption bills. This approach ensures that electricity remains affordable for households and encourages responsible usage.
- Increasing Per Capita Electricity Consumption: The scheme acknowledges the increasing per capita electricity consumption in Bihar, reflecting the growing demand for electricity. By providing connections, it addresses this rising need and contributes to the state’s development.
- Online Portal Accessibility: The government has made it convenient for citizens to apply for changes in their electricity load, check the status of load extension applications, and access related services through the official online portal http://hargharbijli.bsphcl.co.in/Default.aspx.
Coverage and Eligibility Under the Har Ghar Bijli Lagatar Scheme:
This scheme encompasses approximately 50% of above poverty line (APL) families in rural Bihar that lack electricity connections. Eligibility extends to both urban and rural households without prior electrical access. The scheme acts as a lifeline for those awaiting the benefits of electrification.
- Inclusive Reach: The Har Ghar Bijli Lagatar scheme is designed to have a broad reach, aiming to provide electricity access to a substantial segment of the population.
- Rural Focus: The scheme primarily targets rural areas of Bihar, where a significant portion of the population may still lack access to electricity. It focuses on bridging the urban-rural divide in electrification.
- Above Poverty Line (APL) Families: The scheme encompasses around 50% of above poverty line (APL) families in rural Bihar that do not have electricity connections. This inclusion ensures that even families with a relatively higher income level but lacking electricity access can benefit.
- Urban and Rural Households: Eligibility for the scheme extends to both urban and rural households. It acknowledges that the need for electricity access is not limited to rural areas and recognizes the importance of electrification in urban settings as well.
- No Prior Electrical Access: The eligibility criteria are particularly advantageous for households that have never had electrical access before. This means that families previously deprived of the benefits of electricity are prioritized.
- Inclusivity: The scheme acts as a lifeline for those eagerly awaiting the benefits of electrification. It aims to ensure that no household is left behind in the journey toward universal electrification.
- Socioeconomic Impact: By focusing on APL families and households without prior electrical access, the scheme contributes to reducing energy poverty and promoting socioeconomic development in Bihar.
Benefits Under the Har Ghar Bijli Lagatar Scheme:
Under the Har Ghar Bijli Lagatar scheme, beneficiaries receive electricity connections free of charge, without incurring any connection fees. However, they are responsible for paying their monthly electricity consumption bills. Those opting out of acquiring an electrical connection can do so in writing, providing their reasons.
- Universal Access to Electricity: The primary benefit of the Har Ghar Bijli Lagatar scheme is its commitment to providing electricity access to every household in Bihar. This ensures that even the remotest and underserved areas receive the much-needed power supply.
- Improved Quality of Life: Electricity is a catalyst for an enhanced standard of living. With access to electricity, families can enjoy lighting, refrigeration, and the use of electronic appliances, making daily life more comfortable and convenient.
- Economic Development: The scheme fosters economic growth by facilitating entrepreneurial activities and creating job opportunities. Businesses can thrive with reliable electricity, leading to increased income and economic stability.
- Education Enhancement: Access to electricity extends study hours for students, particularly in rural areas. This enables better educational outcomes and a brighter future for the youth of Bihar.
- Healthcare Access: Electricity is vital for powering medical equipment in healthcare facilities. With consistent power supply, healthcare providers can offer improved medical services, ensuring better health outcomes for residents.
- Energy Poverty Reduction: The scheme plays a pivotal role in reducing energy poverty by ensuring that even the marginalized and economically weaker sections have access to electricity. This helps in bridging socioeconomic disparities.
- Rural Electrification: Approximately 50% of above poverty line (APL) families in rural Bihar without electricity connections benefit from this scheme. It significantly contributes to rural electrification and economic development.
- Free Connection: Beneficiaries are provided with free electricity connections, removing the financial barrier to entry. This makes electricity accessible to a broader segment of the population.
- Affordable Billing: While the connection is free, beneficiaries are only required to pay their monthly electricity consumption bills, ensuring that electricity remains affordable for households.
- Contribution to Development: The Har Ghar Bijli Lagatar scheme is instrumental in fulfilling the promise of a better power situation in Bihar. It not only brightens homes but also contributes to the overall development and progress of the state.
Beneficiaries seeking a free electricity connection can liaise with the implementing agency, either at the state or district level. Urban local bodies oversee the scheme’s execution at the state level, while panchayat bodies take charge at the district level. Since its launch in 2016, the scheme was successfully implemented by 2018.
By December 2017, electricity connectivity reached 39,073 villages, marking a significant stride towards electrification. A monumental achievement was realized in April 2018 when electricity connectivity extended to all of Bihar’s rural habitations, totaling around 1.06 lakh. By December 2018, the scheme had empowered 1.19 crore households with electricity.
Applying for Bihar Bijli Yojana:
- Visit the BSPHCL E-Corner Online Portal: http://hargharbijli.bsphcl.co.in/
- Click on “Consumer Suvidha Activities” or go directly to: http://hargharbijli.bsphcl.co.in/SuvidhaConsumerActivities.aspx
- Select Your Bihar District: From the list of DISCOMs, choose your district from the drop-down box on the left side. Fill out the required details in the correct format as indicated on the page.
- Click on “आवेदन करें” (Apply Now) to proceed with the online application process.
- Register Mobile Number: On the next page, enter your mobile number, select your district name, and click on “Generate OTP” to proceed.
- Complete Application: Follow the prompts to complete your application for a new electricity connection in Bihar.
Checking Application Status:
- Visit the official BSPHCL E-Corner Portal: http://hargharbijli.bsphcl.co.in/
- Click on “Consumer Suvidha Activities” or go directly to: http://hargharbijli.bsphcl.co.in/SuvidhaConsumerActivities.aspx
- Enter Request Number: To check the status of your application, enter your request number and click on “View Status.”
- Track Application: You’ll receive detailed information about your application, including its status.
To log in to the Har Ghar Bijli Yojana:
Follow these steps:
- Like, Share, and Follow BSPHCL on Social Media: Before accessing the online portal, it’s recommended to like, share, and follow Bihar State Power Holding Company Limited (BSPHCL) on Facebook and Twitter. This step may be a prerequisite for registration or for staying updated on scheme-related information.
- Access the Official Link: Click on the provided official link to access the Har Ghar Bijli Yojana’s smart online portal: http://hargharbijli.bsphcl.co.in/
- User Registration: On the portal’s login page, you will likely find an option for user registration. Click on it to begin the registration process.
- Complete Basic Registration: Fill out the registration form with the required details. This typically includes personal information such as your name, contact details, and email address. Follow the instructions on the registration form carefully.
- Submit Registration Form: After completing the registration form, review the information for accuracy. Make sure all mandatory fields are filled correctly.
- Login Credentials: Once you’ve submitted the registration form successfully, you will likely receive login credentials. These may include a username and password, which you can use to log in to the Har Ghar Bijli Yojana portal.
- Log In: Return to the portal’s login page and enter your newly created username and password.
- Access Services: After logging in, you should have access to various services and information related to the Har Ghar Bijli Yojana, including application status tracking and other scheme-related features.
Har Ghar Bijli App:
The “Har Ghar Bijli App” in Bihar appears to be a user-friendly web-based application designed to facilitate easy access to electricity-related information and bill payment details. Here’s a breakdown of its functionality based on the provided information:
Key Features of the Har Ghar Bijli App:
- Bill Payment Information: The app provides users with detailed information regarding their electricity bills. This includes billing details such as the amount due, due date, and payment options.
- Local Department Connectivity: Users can initiate a call to the app’s call center, which connects them to their local electricity department. This feature allows users to address queries, report issues, or seek assistance directly from the relevant local authority.
- Property Identification: The app helps users identify the property under which they are residing. This information can be vital for billing and service-related purposes.
- Contact Information: Users can access contact details, including phone numbers and email addresses, for meters located in all their respective buildings. This feature enhances communication between consumers and electricity providers.
- User-Friendly Interface: The app appears to have a simple and user-friendly interface, making it accessible to a wide range of users.
- Convenient Bill Payment: It likely offers an easy and convenient bill payment option within the app, allowing users to pay their electricity bills online, eliminating the need for physical visits to payment centers.
- Access to Account Information: Users can access their account information, including past bills and payment history, providing transparency and record-keeping.
The Har Ghar Bijli Lagatar scheme is not just an initiative; it’s a promise of empowerment and progress for the people of Bihar. By brightening homes and propelling overall development, this scheme leaves an indelible mark on the state’s landscape. Its impact reverberates through improved lifestyles and a more robust power infrastructure. Bihar’s journey towards universal electrification is well underway, thanks to the visionary Har Ghar Bijli Lagatar scheme.